Friday, August 21, 2009

Auction Weekend in Monterey - RM

Auctions are a big deal in Monterey! Gooding, RM, Bonhams & Butterfields, Russo and Steele, and Mecum were in full force this past week. In total for the weekend $118,692,823 sold from 558 cars. This is an average of $212,711 per car. The biggest sale this year was at Mecum's inaugural Monterey auction. A 1965 Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe went for $7,250,000. I know it happened but I still can't wrap my head around someone spending that much money on a car. What recession?
I had the opportunity to work and attend the RM Auction from start to finish in Monterey. I was there on Wednesday for the preview until the last auction on Saturday night. RM is a huge player in the collector car auction arena and put on a high energy event. They sold 206 cars for a total of $35.5 million for the week. Check out some of the cars that went across the auction block.

In the Lobby at the Portola Hotel on the first night I arrived to Monterey.

Bugatti Veyron - I love the coloring on this! It looks so much better than the two toned black and blue or red!

My favorite car that went across the block but I don't think it sold, so there is still hope for me to buy it. A 1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Boat Tail Skiff.


Part of Nick Alexander's collection of Woodies that sold for almost $7 million

No comments:

Post a Comment